13 Things Your Network Marketing Upline Will Never Tell YouPosted 02/13/14 in [Reputable Network Marketing] | Comments Off on 13 Things Your Network Marketing Upline Will Never Tell You
I have worked with a lot of people in my Life Force International downline in the last 7 years, and have seen some common threads running through people who are trying out MLM. Here are the things you might want to know that good upline people practice, in no particular order.
- In our introductory conversation when you tell about yourself, I listen very closely. I am listening how you present yourself, whether you complain/how often you complain about your life or others, what your belief level really is about Network Marketing in general, and the Life Force International business and products in particular. I am taking notes and evaluating the best approaches to work with you. And when we hang up, I am already formulating our next phone call and if I want to work with you.
- When you tell me that you have tried over 8 different companies and decided Life Force is #1 for you, I don’t really expect you to stay. There is a reason you didn’t stay with the other 8 companies: some were truly deficient, some had bad people representing them, some upline people really did treat you poorly, but mostly, I don’t think you realized this is a marathon and not a sprint.
- When you tell me you have “lots of experience in sales, but the last person who served as your upline didn’t really help you out at all in your business,” I flip a coin as to whether you’ll stay. Either that is sadly true, or you are someone who expects to be coddled. Simply put, anyone who has “lots of experience in sales” knows 1) a lot of what to do already, and 2) in the end, it’s all up to them to succeed and knows that your business mentor is only there to guide as you take the initiative to do the work.
- If you are working this business as a Hobbyist or Part-timer, I am thrilled because of your commitment and know you are more disciplined than most. Thankfully, the Life Force Compensation plan provides excellent income for those who only have a few hours per week to devote to this opportunity. However, please understand that I am working with other people who are also trying to earn income as well, and this is my main business.
- When you spend most of your time researching the products, reading books about Network Marketing, watching online presentations about how to succeed in Network Marketing, buying programs claiming to make you millions in Network Marketing and not talking to people, I prioritize your emails and phone calls differently. I love our products and learning out about them, and I believe in the power of reputable Network Marketing as the great equalizer and most efficient way to make money, too. But to make money in this business, you actually have to talk to people about trying the products or the business. You have to pick up the phone, you have to invite people to your house, you have to look for natural opportunities to share, you have to ask them to try it with a definite yes or no answer, and you have to follow up with them. My time is as valuable as yours, and I need to spend it on people who are like-minded about earning income.
- However, when I notice you aren’t working the business, I will always talk respectfully with you about what might be holding you back, which is usually fear or you’re still building trust because of other “off” MLM business practices (and you can click here to find out more about what makes a company legitimate). If you have enough humility to admit this to me, you will find me the most empathetic person you could talk to, because it was the same for me…which means I know how to help you get through it if you are willing to change.
- The biggest test I use as a business mentor to determine how much time or money to invest in you is not your intellect, your experience, your performance, your kindness, or your passion. I respect those aspects of you, but my ultimate litmus test is whether you are proactive. Here is how I determine this: which of us initiates communication more? I have called you and kept our initial phone conference training appointments and have encouraged you to act on what I have shared, but you didn’t do it. I have even told you I am ready to come on site—at my own expense—once you have a downline of 4 eager and active people. Then, I don’t hear from you for several weeks and you send me an email telling me you’ve “been so busy but you still want to do the business and I should email or call you soon.” I am deeply aware you are still not comprehending what this business is about. Or worse, you have decided not to work the business but don’t honor our established relationship (or my time or commitments) enough to tell me.
- I like most of the people I work with, but if you are loud, obnoxious, self-centered, rude, or swear a lot, I probably won’t enjoy working with you. Mostly, because that means you will be loud, obnoxious, self-centered, rude, or swear a lot with the people you talk to about these products and you will turn them off to the opportunity for good health or good income because of it. And then, you will be loud, obnoxious, self-centered, rude, or swear a lot at me when you blame me that you aren’t doing well in the company.
- When I—as someone who is currently earning way more in the company than you are and am a ranking member and have been working the Life Force business for literally years—specifically outline for you a certain way to do something and you do it your way and it fails miserably, it is really hard for me to be understanding. I will always be kind to you, but to me, you are becoming someone who does not value my time, effort, experience or capability to lead you to greater income.
- However, when you do #8 and come back and tell me you wish you had listened to me, I am ready to start again with you, and you will probably advance ranks fairly quickly.
- Our company is not a Get Rich Quick scheme or MLM scam, but when you talk about ways to cheat the Compensation Plan, poach a customer, not notify the company of a mistake they made in your check, or a way to steal product, I wish you would go find a pyramid scheme, because you will fit right in with people those companies attract.
- Yes, I will get up at 4:30 AM on Tuesdays every week if you are in a different time zone and can only do training at that time, because I am here to help you grow your business. If we do that more than 3 weeks in a row and you still haven’t signed up anyone as a customer or member–even though you swear you’re literally talking to 10 people a day–I will sleep until normal time the next Tuesday. What you don’t know is that it is statistically impossible for you to do the things I am telling you to do with 150 people and never have a signup or someone at least try the products. Sadly, you are lying to yourself and to me. I valued you enough to sacrifice time with my family to go to bed early the night before. How did you value yourself, your goals to succeed, or me?
- I respect your faith stance, even if it’s not mine. I respect your politics, even if they don’t match mine. I respect your devotion to your family, motorcycles, baby seals, the environment, and your favorite charity. I spent hours on the phone with you even though you didn’t listen, bent over backwards to point you in the right direction for things you needed but didn’t use, and then you left the company. On top of that, you later blame me you didn’t make any money and call my character into question by deeming the products and company I proudly represent a “scam.” So, yes…I now actually do delete your emails about your next company without reading them and move you to a different list on my Facebook friends. And I do it knowing full well that if you find out, you will delude yourself with the tired excuses that She only saw me as a dollar sign, or She just didn’t agree with my faith/politics/etc., when the truth is your actions proved to me you are a person who doesn’t show the respect you demand from others and every human being deserves.
No matter when you’re reading this, I’d love to hear from you if you are an upline mentor and would like to share your own things you wish your prospects knew, or if you are a downline member who has a story to tell. If you are interested in the Life Force International business opportunity, click here.